There’s no getting around the facts -- plenty of people are afraid of dental procedures. But at Kennewick Smiles, we don’t want fear to keep you from getting the dental treatment you need.
Whether you need dental implants, tooth extraction, cosmetic surgery or any other procedure, Kennewick sedation dentistry is an option to make the process as comfortable as possible.
Our doctors are some of the few who are specially trained to implement sedation. Kennewick sedation dentistry can help patients relax, creating a comfortable dental experience where they feel safe.
Sedation dentistry uses medicine to help you relax, or potentially even sleep during your dental procedure. There are several types of sedation available. At Kennewick Smiles, we offer oral conscious sedation and nitrous oxide sedation.
Oral conscious sedation involves taking a pill, usually Halcion. Halcion is in the same drug family as Valium, and will help you relax.
The medication is taken an hour before your procedure, and will make you drowsy. But since it’s such a small dose, you won’t fall asleep. This is called moderate oral sedation. Depending on the person, some might feel drowsy enough to fall asleep, but can usually be woken with a gentle shake.
Most people know of nitrous oxide as “laughing gas.”
It can help you relax and feel comfortable during your dental procedure, but won’t put you to sleep. You’ll be aware of your surroundings and able to communicate with your doctor throughout the process.
During the procedure, Nitrous Oxide is mixed with oxygen and filtered through a mask over your nose. Your doctor will ask you to breathe normally, and you’ll begin to feel the effects after a few minutes. With laughing gas, it’s common to feel:
- A little light headed
- Tingling in your arms and legs
- Limbs feeling heavy
- Feeling calm and comfortable
These effects will start to wear off as soon as your doctor removes the mask.
If you and your doctor decide that oral sedation is right for you, you’ll need to provide a complete health history before your appointment, including:
- Any medical conditions you may have
- All medications you’re taking prescribed by a doctor
- Over-the-counter medications and vitamins
- Alternative or herbal supplements
- Drug and alcohol use
- Some foods
It is important to provide complete and accurate information to your doctor, as some medicines and foods can influence the effectiveness of the sedation. For example, simple things like St. John’s Wort and grapefruits can result in mild interactions or affect your metabolism.
Your doctor will give you specific instructions on how to prepare for your dentist appointment based on the sedation method. It may be necessary not to eat or drink anything beforehand.
You should also be prepared to:
- Take some time off work. Depending on the length of the procedure, you may only need half a day off to recover. For longer appointments, make plans to take the rest of the day off.
- Have someone drive you to and from your appointment. You can’t drive or operate heavy machinery until your sedation medication has worn off. How long this takes depends on the medication used.
- Stay hydrated. After seeing a dentist in Kennewick, it’s good practice to drink lots of fluids.
Contact us at (509) 585-2500 today to speak with one of our doctors about sedation dentistry to make your appointment as relaxing as possible.